Thursday, October 30, 2008

My first entry ever!!!11!!

So, I suppose that this is where I have to introduce myself.

I am an eighteen-year-old college freshman at a very tiny college in northern Indiana. I'd share the name of it if it were, say, Notre Dame, but it's not, so I won't. I'm currently studying biology with the intention of becoming a doctor but am thinking about changing my major next semester (what a shock!) to a double in sociology and psychology to get my master's in social work. I think it is hilarious that what I want to do with my life involves making either $160,000+ or $25,000+ as a starting salary. I am easily amused...

My family moved from Kinderhook, a town about twenty miles south of/a fifteen-minute drive across the Hudson from Albany that is the smallest town ever and is composed entirely of either millionaires, farmers, or illegal Mexicans with nothing inbetween, to Depew, the best suburb of Buffalo (OK, Lancaster is), when I was eleven. I always loved hockey and can remember deciding when I was eight and watching a Rangers game that I would hate the Rangers for the rest of my life. I didn't initially follow the Sabres, but at the beginning of the 02-03 season, which was just an awesomely horrendous year, I decided that, you know, since I loved hockey, and Buffalo actually had an NHL team, it would probably be a good idea to start paying attention to them. So, I did. Now, that was the year that everybody in Buffalo was like, "Screw this. I'm not buying tickets so I can support Rigas," so I never did get to a game that year, because my father refused to buy tickets.

My first game was, I believe, in the 03-04 season, against the LA Kings. The Sabres won, I think, 8-3, and I remember being so mad because at first they were losing 3-1, and then they tied the game after the first, I believe, sparked by a goal from Hank... and then I missed the next two or three goals because they happened right after intermission, and we were still in line to buy food. Since then, I've only been to two other games, one in 06-07 (the 'Canes game they won 5-4 instead of 5-3 because they gave up a goal when they had a 5-on-3 with about two minutes left to the game... yeah, I was pissed at them), and one last year... The one last year was the one against the Senaturds (juvenile, but I adore it) that they were winning 3-1 until the last five minutes, when they decided that losing 5-3 would be a better idea. So, all those with season tickets, even you minipack holders out there: I. Envy. You.

My favorite player ever is Curtis Brown. Don't even know why. Don't even ask.

My favorite player currently is Patrick Kaleta. Clearly I only ever fall in love with fourth-liners. Craig Rivet is beginning to challenge Kaleta's place, but if Kaleta starts to drop the gloves every once in a while to make what he's going to do a little more unpredictable so that he keeps drawing penalties, his spot will never be challenged ever again.

Now, I have heard a lot of people call Patrick Kaleta ugly. Just a warning: I take that personally, because I think that he is adorable. I am a serious hockey fan, sure, but, like almost everybody else in the blog world, I am also a female, and those are guys out there on the ice. I do take comfort in the fact that pretty much all of the people who have called him ugly are A) guys and B) straight, so they have no idea what they are talking about.

I guess that'll do it for my first entry... Oh, wait! My name! How could I forget?! lulz

My name is Jael, pronounced jay-EL. Just pretend that it's the letters JL together, like it's my initials or something, and you'll do fine. I also respond to Danielle in person, just because it sounds like my name. Janelle, though, doesn't. Um, yeah.

Now THIS will do my first entry. If I write any more, I will start writing about how much the Sabres currently, after the last game, suck, after being by far the best team in the NHL prior to that, and that's not fun, now, is it.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

Welcome to the blogging world, Jael! That's such a pretty name, by the way. :D

I totally think that Patty K is a cutie. I see no such thing as ugliness involved with him. It's funny because a kid that graduated from my school this past summer was his cousin, so he had the only Kaleta jersey in the school. They almost looked exactly alike, too.

Jael said...

Thanks for the welcome. =) I had enough people telling me on random message boards to just start a blog, so here I am, after reading all of yours basically for just over a year.

Yes, for all the complaining I do when it comes to how people mispronounce and misspell my name constantly even though it's so SIMPLE, I love it. It's unique and pretty and everybody likes it. Hahaha.

See? Girls don't think Patrick Kaleta is ugly. No, not at all.

Cari said...

(I meant to comment on this yesterday)

Now, I have heard a lot of people call Patrick Kaleta ugly. Just a warning: I take that personally, because I think that he is adorable.

AMEN, GIRLFRIEND. And thank god I'm not the only one who gets offended by those haters.