Tuesday, November 18, 2008

All aboard teh failboat!



........................I blame the commentator. Mike Tirico? Yeah. Him. How dare you bring up Norwood, Tirico. How dare you.

When this team was 4-0... and 5-1... I had Such High Hopes.

For a moment, I dared to think of... a championship win within the next two seasons. For a moment, I saw a playoff run this year, consisting of at least one postseason win.

For a moment, I forgot that the Bills play in Buffalo.

And then I suffered the consequences, watching them fall apart and their season crumble right before my eyes. It's been an exercise in... being a Buffalo fan. Yet again.

This is the 2004 season in reverse. Exactly in reverse. 0-4 ... 4-0. 9-7 ... 7-9 (likely).

I don't understand. I just don't.

No more Monday Night Football games. No more.

I just. want. a Super Bowl. win. before. the team. moves. to. Toronto.

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

I know they have three seasons at the most, if the fact that the season-ticket holders whose tickets expire after this season could only renew them for three more years rather than the usual five is any indication whatsoever of how long the Bills' future is.

...I just want one Super Bowl. Just one. Please? ...And no pulling a Quebec Nordiques. No. No. No. I'm fully expecting it, because that's just how things work in Buffalo, but no. Please, no.

Watching that game... The entire time, I was expecting them to lose. Weren't we all? This is Buffalo. Come on. But with that final touchdown... I had hope. I really did. And then the Browns got in field-goal range, and that hope was taken. ...And then the Bills were suddenly in field-goal range, at least for Lindell, and I thought... "No. Not. Wide. Right." And then Mike Tirico mentioned Scott Norwood out loud. And. The fact that it was forty-seven yards. Out loud. Lindell's kick... forty-seven yards. And I thought, "How Buffalo. How very Buffalo." And then it happened. And the game was lost. And... I am so. tired. of being a Buffalo sports fan. So tired.


I just want one winning season. One Super Bowl. Just one. That's all I ask. Is that really too hard for you? Is that really too much to ask?

I know that game wasn't exactly... a Super Bowl game... to say the least... but every game, that's all I can think about, simply because I know that time is running out. And I think about what will happen, what the fans will do that last game at the Ralph. I'd like for them to stay at the stadium all night, chanting, "Let's go, Buffalo!" without ceasing... sobbing all the while, I'm sure. The sun will rise, and they'll go home to sleep, while the rest of the city riots. But that final goodbye... It has to be good. It has to be perfect.

I cannot bring myself to be optimistic about the Bills... I just can't. It's not... realistic.

A win tonight would have really helped morale, boys. It would have really made me smile in the midst of this incredibly stressful week. But... It would have been so unlike a Buffalo team. And that's the hardest part to take.

6 comments:

M.J. said...

THERE IS SO MUCH RIGHT ABOUT THIS POST. STARTING WITH THE EPIC PICUTRES.

Shelby said...

I agree with M.J., those pictures are pretty epic.

I'd like the Bills fans to have something to hold onto for awhile. They've been through so much this whole time that Buffalo has had a football team, and it would be nice to have at least one championship. All those years in a row, and absolutely nothing.

If there is a God, and I got to ask him one question, it would be 'Why do you hate Buffalo so much?'

Anne said...

I love that series of pictures and it so perfectly captures the feeling of this season.

WHY?!!?!

I just call this a rebuilding year and we'll be AWESOME next year. righ?!! Just tell me I'm right.

Jael said...

I think this game seriously... For the first time, I still don't want to a Bills fan anymore the next day. At least with the MFN game last year, we had the comfort of knowing they played 500% better than they should have been physically able to.


I just call this a rebuilding year and we'll be AWESOME next year. righ?!! Just tell me I'm right.


YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

Ricig said...

http://www.whydoesgodhatebuffalo.com/

i'm a little older and feel exactly the same way. it's distressing to know that every generation has their own Buffalo misery to build upon the previous one.

i created new profanities last night.

dani said...

"If at first you can't fail, fail, fail again"

YESSSS! AMAZING QUOTE!!!! So fitting.