Friday, November 21, 2008

Failure follows me wherever I go

The Pirates lost 3-2 in a shootout. I am sure that the Sabres did not fare any better. I have no idea what the score is, or was (no idea if the game is over yet or not; it should be)... but I am positive that they lost. I should not have to address why I believe that. The reasons are as obvious as the fact that Paul Gaustad is really terrible this year.

OK, I'm curious. I have to look up the score.

BAHAHAHAHA 3-0 PHILLY! I KNEW IT!

There is no end in sight. I am convinced that I made the right decision in taking a break. It's nice to be entirely apathetic for once. Buffalo must be cold and dreary and empty at the moment.

The only bad thing about not watching Buffalo sports is... there's nothing about which to write.

So far, though, this is really working. It's beautiful, in fact. I don't have to watch our forwards try to make teh pritty playz at the expense of everything Lindy Ruff has told them to do. I don't have to watch our defense screen our goaltender. I don't have to watch Derek Roy be an idiot until I am blinded with seething rage and want nothing more than to jump through the screen and demand that he be benched. I don't have to watch Ryan Miller give up any stupid goals. I don't have to watch our defense (not just defensemen, but forwards, too) equate actually playing defense with simply skating around in their zone without any real goal in mind. I don't have to watch Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville be the only good players on the entire team night in and night out. I don't have to watch Jaroslav Spacek and Henrik Tallinder give the puck away two feet away from Ryan Miller. I don't have to watch Andrew Peters be a better hockey player than Drew Stafford. I don't have to watch Craig Rivet hobble around and absolutely suck at playing hockey because his knee is crap. I don't have to watch opposing players stand in our crease all night long while Andrej Sekera just stands there. I don't have to watch the team lose anymore.

If only the Bills and Sabres had never been good at the beginning of the season... Then I could just take their ridiculously terrible play in stride and laugh it off with that trademark self-deprecating Buffalonian humor. Or, if one of the teams were still doing well... That would be nice, too. See, it's not that both teams are terrible right now that it is the reason I'm not watching for at least two weeks. It's that they were both good, both 5-1 at the same time, both, in my mind, somewhat contenders... and both have since let that slip away. It's been the worst few weeks I can remember as a Buffalo sports fan... I'm glad I stepped away. I'm grateful for it. I need perspective, desperately. I can't get this involved in one thing... It's not healthy, especially when things aren't going well.

I'm so disappointed in the Pirates for losing. I was really hoping they'd offer me some relief, but no. At least they appeared to battle hard, albeit their play seemed undisciplined at times, over the radio on the internet.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

It's too ironic that the Bills and Sabres were awesome at the same time, and now they're sucking at the same time.
God is cruel.