Friday, November 7, 2008

FAIL

Oh my dear goodness.

I am not even going to say anything about that HORRIBLE game...

OK, just kidding.

There is one word to describe their play: DISGUSTING.

Maybe that doesn't even cover it.

Where was the team defense? Where? OK, three bad games out of thirteen... OK, I will take that without complaining... but they're just so ridiculously hard to endure while they're happening.

Goal #1: TIM CONNOLLY. WHAT IN THE WORLD. Nowhere to be found. That was YOUR assignment, Tim. Yours. And you blew it. That goal was purely your fault. I'm so happy you're back on the roster, Tim. You have no idea.
Goal #2: Fluke and bizarre. Moving on.
Goal #3: Nothing anybody could do.
Goal #4: Thank you, Ryan Miller, for sucking.
Goal #5: Thank you, again, Ryan Miller, for sucking.

Not to say that Ryan Miller sucks... because he doesn't, not at all. In fact, here is some statistical goodness I decided to look up because it took about two minutes and proves my point for the eightieth time that all goalies, even the best, have bad games on a fairly consistent basis... If you think you've seen this elsewhere, that's because you probably have, because, yes, I do indeed post on sabres.com, much to my own chagrin at times (lulz).

Under the premise that a game with a save percentage below .900 is a bad one for a goaltender... Here are some of the goalies who are in the top half of the league so far this year in save percentage.

Ryan Miller has had two bad games in ten starts.
Henrik Lundqvist: 3 in 13
Marc-Andre Fleury: 5 in 11
Martin Brodeur: 4 in 10
Tim Thomas: 2 in 9
Alex Auld: 1 in 8 (he wins hahaha)
Niklas Backstrom: 2 in 11
Mike Smith: 1 in 9 (no, HE wins)
Cam Ward: 2 in 9
JS Giguere: 4 in 12
Brent Johnson: 1 in 5

And the Vezina Trophy winner last season, Mr. Marty Brodeur? He had nineteen bad games, out of seventy-seven played. That's 25%, or one in four.

So, you know. Having one bad game out of every five is actually quite stellar. Still, as poorly as the team played, were it not for Miller on the last two goals tonight, they would have won.

Not that I wanted them to.
I said with about seven minutes left in the third that the Sabres would allow a PP goal early in OT... (I take full responsibility for that loss, just as I take full responsibility for the 5-0 game against the Capitals.) I predicted the loss because I wanted it to happen (and because I genuinely believed it would occur, but... I really wanted it to happen). They cannot allow themselves to again, this season, fall into the habit of playing down to their competition, as they did tonight and as they have on two other occasions so far this year. It is pathetic... I think that all teams are guilty of it to some degree, but when the no-regulation-wins Atlanta Thrashers outplay you...... No. Playing down to the competition should only include playing slightly above their level, when you're capable of much more.

If I were Lindy Ruff, and if the Sabres did not have a game tomorrow, they would skate until they throw up the next practice. If they don't want to show any effort in an actual game, fine. They can just show all of that effort, plus what they'd normally show, in practice the next day. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

When all is said and done, I cannot really complain... As of now, this kind of game is still a fluke with this team. If it happens again tomorrow night, though... I will personally... um... complain. Yes.

At least Vanek got another goal. Twelve in thirteen isn't bad at all. Really, it is thirteen in thirteen, because we all know he scored twice tonight... Not only is he NEVER wrong when he thinks he scored, but, I mean, we all saw the puck go up Hedberg's jersey, definitely over the line. Oh well. If you can't see the puck over the line, it's not a goal... Going by the rules, it was a good call. It just... sucked.

The positive of this game: Jaroslav Spacek was given an interview.

I think it would be really funny if the person who updates sabres.com said on the story on the main page about the game, instead of "FINAL: ATLANTA 5, BUFFALO 4 (OT)".... "FAIL: ATLANTA 5, BUFFALO 4 (OT)."

Also.

Ellis has been claimed off waivers by the LA Kings. Yes, that's right. The same team that put him on waivers for us to claim him.

Excuse me while I go laugh hysterically.


1 comment:

Shelby said...

Los Angeles is pure craziness. WHY DID THEY PUT HIM ON WAIVERS IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN? Ugh.

Oh, and, I do agree with you about Miller and goals, BUT, not the last two. The one where he slid on his side and the puck went under him was fail, and then the one where he was slow to get to his position with Rivet in front was pretty fail too (but not totally his fault).